Deliciously moist and fluffy banana muffins with a cream cheese mousse baked on top.
- 1 & 1/2 cups plus 3 tbsp cake flour
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3 large very ripe bananas)
- Mousse filling ingredients
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large egg whites (must be at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Transfer into another bowl.
- Clean out the mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites until frothy. Gradually add in the sugar, then mix on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Add half of the cream cheese mixture, mix until just combined. Add the rest and mix until smooth. Transfer into a pastry bag with a large round tip and set aside. Clean out mixer.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 muffin pans with 16 paper liners. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the mashed bananas.
- Add half of the flour mixture, stir until moist. Add the rest and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Insert the pastry tip halfway into batter and pipe in about 1 tbsp of the filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin (not the filling) comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy.
I tend to be light handed when filling the muffins with the mousse, so I always have about half of the cream cheese mixture left over. I simply freeze the rest in a plastic container and defrost in the fridge for the next time I make these muffins again.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana cream cheese muffin recipe, banana cake muffins