Victoria Sponge Cake
This is a British-style sponge cake layered with raspberry jam and whipped cream in between. This version is jazzed up with the addition of fresh raspberries in the filling.
- Author: Little Sweet Baker
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 10-12
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: English
For the cake:
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp (15g) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tbsp (30ml) milk
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup (80ml) good-quality raspberry jam
- 3/4 cup (188ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (12.5g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) fresh raspberries
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter two 8″ round baking pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time and mixing well in between. With the mixer on low, stir in half of the flour mixture. Add in the milk and mix for a few seconds to loosen up the batter, then stir in the rest of the flour until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pan. Spread and smooth out the surface. Bake for 25 minutes or until tops are lightly browned and springs back when gently pressed. Let cool completely before assembling.
- Meanwhile, whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft to medium peaks form.
- Once cake is completely cooled, trim the dome of one of the cakes if needed, then spread the jam, followed by half of the whipped cream. Scatter with raspberries and spread the rest of the cream on top.
- Layer with the second cake, press down gently and dust with powdered sugar. Slice and serve with a nice cup of tea.
Leftover cake can be stored wrapped up in the fridge for 2 days.
Keywords: sponge cake recipe, easy sponge cake, Victoria sponge cake