Persimmon Pudding Cake
A dense, moist, and chewy spiced pudding cake made from the delicious persimmon fruit.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 min
- Yield: 18-24
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups (500ml) Hachiya persimmon pulp (about 3 large or 4 medium fruits)
- 4 tbsp (60ml) melted unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (200g) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar (see notes*)
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (125g) chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 13 x 9 inch glass baking pan.
- Using a handheld blender or stand blender, pulse the persimmon pulp to break part the seed casings and measure out 2 cups. Do not over purée.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the fruit pulp, butter, eggs, sugars and vanilla. Slowly add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in walnuts.
- Spread onto prepared baking pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check at 20-30 minutes. If the edges are browning too quickly, reduce the oven temp to 325F and continue baking until done. Enjoy with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
*Most readers love this recipe as is. Though I have received feedback from a few readers that have reduced the amount of granulated sugar by half (or even omitted it altogether) because they found the cake too sweet. So depending on how sweet your persimmons are and your taste preference, feel free to adjust the amount of granulated sugar accordingly.
Keywords: persimmon pudding cake recipe, persimmon cake recipe, best persimmon pudding cake, easy persimmon cake