Mixed Berry Pie
This easy-to-make mixed berry pie is bursting with fruit flavor and wrapped in a tender flaky pie crust.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8-10
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- ¾ cup (188ml) vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup (83ml) milk plus 1–2 tbsp extra if needed (any kind, dairy or non-dairy works)
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (62g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1.25ml) ground nutmeg
- 5 cups (750g) mixed berries, fresh or frozen (I used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries) See tips below on using frozen berries.**
- Preheat oven to 425F and position rack to lower third of oven.
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a little well.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper. Dampen the work area with a wet cloth or paper towel to prevent the wax paper from slipping.
- Divide into two parts. Roll each part out in between 2 sheets of wax paper to about 11″ in diameter.
- Fit one piece into a 9″ pie plate by placing your hand underneath the wax paper and quickly flip the crust over and onto your pie plate. Fit it in with the wax paper, then carefully remove the wax paper and fix any cracks or tears by pinching and sealing the dough.
- Toss the berries, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Spoon the filling mixture into the pie.
- Place the second pie crust on top. Remove the wax paper. Seal and crimp the edges. Cut a few slits for ventilation.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375F and bake for another 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling starts to bubble. Cover the edges with foil if it starts to brown too quickly.
- Let cool for 2 hours before serving.
Leftovers can be covered up and stored at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
**If you are using frozen berries, do not thaw – use straight from frozen. Add 2 extra tablespoons of flour for thickening to compensate for the extra moisture from the freezer and extend the baking time. Loosely cover the pie with foil if the crust starts to brown too quickly before the filling is done.
Keywords: mixed berry pie, triple berry pie, easy fruit pie recipe