These savory hearty muffins are softer and more moist than your conventional cornbread. They are slightly sweet with tender crumbs, and have a wonderful buttery corn flavor.
- Author: Little Sweet Baker
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1&1/2 cups (245g) cornmeal, divided
- 1&1/2 cups (185g) all-purpose flour
- 1&1/2 tsp (6g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (6g) baking soda
- 1&1/4 tsp salt
- 1&1/4 cups (290g) milk
- 1 cup (258g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (114g) melted butter
- 1/3 cup (66g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 425F and spray 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1 cup of the cornmeal, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup cornmeal and the milk. Microwave for 1½ minutes, then whisk thoroughly and continue to microwave, whisking every 30 seconds, until thickened to a porridge-like consistency (the whisk will leave a distinct trail in the bottom of the bowl that slowly fills in), 1 to 3 additional minutes.
- Whisk in the sour cream, melted butter, and sugar until combined (if the batter is still quite warm, let cool for a few minutes before adding the eggs), then whisk in the eggs. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture until thoroughly combined (the batter will be very thick). Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. It will fill above the rims.
- Bake for 13-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Keywords: cornbread muffin recipe, moist cornbread recipe