These zucchini chocolate chip muffins are soft, moist, and fluffy. They are filled with chocolate chips and they finish with a spicy cinnamon kick.
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 small)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a regular-sized muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Toss in the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, sour cream, and vanilla. Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
How to freeze:
Placed completely cooled muffins in a freezer-friendly container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and warm up in the microwave for 15-30 seconds before serving.
How to make these muffins healthier:
- Use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Substitute the vegetable oil with EV olive oil or avocado oil.
- Replace the brown sugar with coconut sugar.
- Reduce the chocolate chips to 1/2 cup, omit or replace with walnuts.
- All-purpose flour – Can be substituted with whole wheat flour or use half and half. You can also use self-rising flour: just omit the baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Chocolate chips – Use any kind of chocolate chips you wish. You can also substitute with chopped walnuts or raisins.
- Egg – This can be replaced with a flax egg or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce.
- Vegetable oil – Can be replaced with melted butter, EV olive oil, avocado oil, or any kind of yellow oil like canola or safflower.
- Sour cream – Can be substituted with plain regular yogurt, plain Greek yogurt, or mayonnaise.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: zucchini chocolate chip muffin recipe