This delicious vanilla sheet cake is soft, moist and topped with a fluffy vanilla buttercream. It’s the ultimate dream cake for vanilla lovers.
- 2 & 1/2 cups (250g) cake flour, sifted
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 & 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar
- 2 large whole eggs, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (188ml) milk, room temperature
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups (500g) powdered sugar
- Sprinkles for decorating
- 4–6 tbsp milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 9×13″ metal baking pan with parchment paper or grease and flour if using a glass or ceramic baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla and sour cream.
- Stir in half of the flour mixture and mix in the milk.
- Then stir in the remaining flour mixture until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool fully before frosting.
- Beat the butter, salt, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well in between. Add in the cream or milk, 1 tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Beat on high speed for about 1 minute after the last addition of powdered sugar for a fluffy and airy texture. Spread on cooled cake and decorate with sprinkles if desired.
Leftover cake can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature by letting it sit out on the counter for 1 hour before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vanilla sheet cake recipe