These homemade donuts are soft and fluffy with a heavenly vanilla scent. They are topped with a thick sweet vanilla glaze and are baked instead of fried, which makes them so much healthier.
- 2 cups (200g) cake flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (188ml) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp (30ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (188g) powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 2–3 tbsp milk or cream
- pink food coloring (optional)
- sprinkles for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray two 6-cavity doughnut pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Add in the buttermilk, eggs and butter. Beat until just combined. Fill each pan cavity approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the tops of the doughnuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely before glazing
- In small bowl, stir together sugar, milk and vanilla extract until sugar is completely dissolved. Add a few drops of food coloring if desired. Use immediately to glaze donuts. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Donuts are best eaten the day of. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days.
- Category: dessert, breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked donut recipe, vanilla donut recipe, glazed donut recipe