Vanilla Bean Magic Cake
One simple batter that bakes into 3 different delicious layers; a chewy dense base, a creamy custard centre, and a fluffy sponge cake on top. It’s truly magic!
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9
- Category: dessert, breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) butter, melted and cooled
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk, lukewarm
- 115 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- powdered sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8×8 square baking pan and line with parchment paper so two sides overhang for easy removal.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites for about 5 minutes or more until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, scraped vanilla bean seeds and sugar until pale and thick, about 3 minutes. Add butter and mix until it starts to thicken again. Then add the milk, one cup at a time, mix well. Sift the flour into the bowl and beat until all the flour is mixed in.
- Gently and quickly fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture until just combined. Batter will be a little lumpy.
- Slowly pour cake batter into the prepared baking pan and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Then keeping the cake in the oven, reduce the heat to 325°F and bake for another 40-50 minutes until the top is golden. Let cool completely.
Cake is best enjoyed at room temperature or slightly chilled. Dust with powdered sugar before serving if desired.
Keywords: magic cake recipe, vanilla magic cake, custard cake recipe, 3 layer custard cake