Tropical Mango Vanilla Cupcakes
These tropical mango vanilla cupcakes are moist, buttery, and have a hint of coconut. The buttercream tastes fresh, sweet, and is bursting with mango flavor.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 heaping cup of fresh diced mangoes (see notes for substitutions*)
- 1 & 1/2 cups (188g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut flavored yogurt (see notes for substitutions**)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125ml) mango reduction
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups (500g) powdered sugar
- Puree the diced mangoes until smooth using a blender. Measure out 1 cup and pour into a small saucepan.
- Bring the puree to a simmer on the stovetop over medium-low heat. While stirring frequently, let it simmer until it reduces to half the volume (15-30 minutes). Set aside to cool while preparing cupcakes and frosting.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter with the sugar. Mix in the egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter into the 12 paper liners. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Mix in the mango reduction, vanilla, and salt.
- Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing in between. Blend until smooth after adding the final cup of powdered sugar. Frost as desired.
*You can substitute fresh mangoes with canned mango pulp or frozen mango chunks. If using frozen mangoes, thaw and drain before pureeing.
**You can replace the coconut flavored yogurt with plain or vanilla yogurt, or sour cream if you prefer.
The cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Place on the countertop for 1 hour to bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: mango cupcake recipe, mango buttercream recipe, coconut vanilla cupcake