This Taiwanese castella cake is moist and cottony-soft. It’s delicate and subtly sweet, and makes for the perfect everyday cake.
- 1 cup (125g) cake flour
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 7 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla extract
- 7 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 300F. Boil a large kettle of water for the water bath. Line an 8″ square pan with parchment paper with 2″ excess on the sides.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and milk until the butter is just melted, not boiling.
- Pour the butter mixture over flour and whisk together until smooth. Then whisk in the egg yolks and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Continue beating and gradually add in the sugar until medium peaks form.
- Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the egg yolk batter to lighten the mixture.
- Pour the egg yolk batter into the meringue and gently fold until just combined and no yellow streaks remain.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Place the cake pan into a larger pan and fill the larger pan with 1″ of hot water.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from water bath and let cool completely before serving.
Leftovers can be placed in an airtight container and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Keywords: Taiwanese castella cake, castella cake recipe