Sweet potatoes baked with butter and autumn spices in a crispy flaky pie crust make this a true Southern favorite.
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (62ml) milk (any kind)
- 1 lb mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup (57g) melted butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp (10ml) pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ginger)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250ml) whipping cream
- ¼ cup (62ml) pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425F and arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven. Set aside a 9″ pie plate.
Make the crust:
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a well in the center.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together. If the dough seems too dry, add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of wax paper to about 11-12″ in diameter. It should overhang your pie plate about 1 cm.
- Fit the dough onto your pie plate. Fold the excess pastry underneath and crimp the edges. Set aside.
Make the filling:
- In a large bowl and using an electric mixer, beat together the sweet potatoes and melted butter. Add in the rest of the filling ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into pastry crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, then turn down the heat to 375F and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cover with foil if the crust starts to brown too quickly. I covered mine during the last 15 minutes.
Prepare the topping:
- Beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Mix in the maple syrup until blended. Spread over pie just before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato pie recipe, easy sweet potato pie, maple whipped cream recipe