Steak & Mushroom Stout Pie
This savoury pie is filled with tender chunks of steak and vegetables soaked in a rich stout gravy baked between two layers of flaky pie crust until golden.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: stovetop, bake
- Cuisine: American
- 3 stripes of bacon
- 1 lb braising steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, stems discarded, caps quartered
- 1 small carrot, cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup stout beer
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 store-bought double pie crust
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp of cold water
- Cook the bacon in a 3-quart Dutch oven over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add the beef and brown on all sides. Do not crowd the pot, so brown the beef in 2 batches if needed. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms, chopped onion, and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes until fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Chop or crumble the bacon. Add the beef and bacon back in.
- Then add the broth, stout, peas, carrots, brown sugar, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry and bring to a boil again to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Line a 9″ deep-dish pie plate with a layer of pie crust. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the stew mixture into the pie plate. Add just enough of the gravy to not quite cover the filling. Reserve any remaining gravy to serve on the side.
- Lay the second pie crust on top. Pinch and crimp the edges together. Brush with egg wash.
- Cut some slits and place pie on baking sheet. Bake in the lower third of oven at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Leftovers can be covered up and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: steak & mushroom pie, steak & stout pie, meat pie recipe