These easy to make gingerbread cookies hold their shape beautifully in the oven and there is no chilling required. They are soft and chewy, and loaded with delicious spices!
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric mixer. Mix in the molasses until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. The batter might look curdled, but that’s ok, it will come together when you add the dry ingredients.
- Add in the flour mixture, one third at a time, mixing in between. The dough will be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a generously floured work surface. Flour your hands and top of the dough. Knead it a few times to gather into a round ball. Roll your dough to 1/4″ thick. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Re-roll the scraps if you want to get a few more cookies.
- Transfer the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the cookies puff up and bottoms just start to brown. Let cool completely on baking sheets before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting: Add the vanilla to the powdered sugar. Whisk in the milk a little at a time until you reach a thick but pourable consistency. Adjust with more powdered sugar or milk if needed. Decorate as desired.
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: soft gingerbread cookies, gingerbread men cookies