These wonderful cookies are full of molasses flavor, superbly soft and chewy, and have a delightful little crunch on the outside.
- 2 cups (256g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ cup (114g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (67g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (55g) dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup (83ml) molasses
- 1/2 cup (125g) coarse or raw sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat to 375F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg and molasses. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Place sanding sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop out dough by the tablespoonful and roll into balls (if dough is sticky, chill for 20 minutes). Roll in sugar and place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2” apart.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and start to crack on the top surface. Mine took exactly 7 1/2 minutes. Be careful not to overbake or cookies won’t be chewy. Let cool on baking sheet.
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: molasses cookie recipe, ginger molasses cookies, soft molasses cookies, Christmas cookie recipe