World Famous Snowball Cookies
These dreamy snowball cookies are rich and buttery, filled with toasted pecans and covered in powdered sugar.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: about 3 dozen cookies
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (110g) whole pecans
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Spread out the pecans in a single layer and toast for 7-10 minutes until fragrant. Keep a close eye to prevent burning. Place in the fridge to let cool and turn down the oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until creamy. Add in the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat well, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Mix in the flour on low speed until almost combined. The mixture will look dry and sandy.
- Remove the pecans from the fridge and finely chop. Stir in the pecan pieces until just combined. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use a tablespoon to measure out the dough and roll into 1″ balls. Place the rounded cookie dough about 1″ apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheets, then roll in powdered sugar while the cookies are still warm.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack and roll again in powdered sugar.
Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 weeks.
Freezing – For best results, freeze the cookies the same day they were baked. Simply coat them in powdered sugar once while they are still warm and let the cookies completely cool. Place them in a freezer-friendly container, separating each layer with wax paper. Label with the date and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw the cookies on a plate at room temperature for an hour and roll in powdered sugar again.
Keywords: snowball cookies, pecan sandies, Mexican wedding cookies