These classic snickerdoodle cookies are buttery, soft and chewy in the middle, and crispy around the edges.
- 2 3/4 cups (345g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar (see notes for substitution*)
- 1 tsp baking soda*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, toss together the 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tbsp of cinnamon. Set both aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon, roll out twelve 1.5″ balls. Then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place them 2″ apart on lined baking sheet. Repeat with rest of batter.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack.
*You can replace BOTH the cream of tarter and baking soda for 4 tsp of baking powder for the same results.
Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: snickerdoodle recipe, snickerdoodle cookies