This moist and tender skillet cornbread has a crispy crust and warm buttery taste. It’s all prepared in one bowl, which makes clean-up a breeze.
- 1 tsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (165g) cornmeal
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar (if making sweet cornbread)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (60ml) honey
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Grease a 9 or 10″ cast iron skillet or round metal baking pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar (if making sweet cornbread) and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and add the buttermilk, eggs, butter and honey.
- Stir until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
- Category: side dish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cornbread recipe, skillet cornbread, buttermilk cornbread