Tart and tender rhubarb with a sweet and creamy custard is a match made in heaven in this old-fashioned pie.
- 1 single pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 & 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups (1 pound) rhubarb cut into bite-sized pieces
- powdered sugar for dusting
- vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 9″ pie plate with a single pie crust. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sugar, flour, and spices. Whisk in the eggs and cream.
- Add in the rhubarb and stir to coat. Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the center is set. Cover the edges with aluminum foil if it starts to brown too quickly (I covered mine after 30 minutes). Let cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of sweetened whipped cream if desired.
Leftovers can be covered and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To freeze – Once the pie is completely cooled, double wrap it in saran wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tip: if you are planning to freeze the pie, bake it in an aluminum pie pan for easier storage in the freezer.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rhubarb custard pie recipe