These red velvet cupcakes are soft, moist and fluffy with a lovely chocolate-vanilla flavor, and they are crowned with gorgeous swirls of cream cheese frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (15g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2/3 cup (167ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60g) vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla extract
- 2–3 tsp red food coloring, or as needed for desired color
Cream cheese frosting
- 8oz (250g) full-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2oz (60g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375g) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 muffin pans with 14 paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients except the food coloring.
- Gently whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Add in the food coloring 1 teaspoon at a time, mixing in between until you reach your desired color. The original recipe called for 1-2 tablespoons of food coloring. I used only 2 teaspoons and found that was enough.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes completely cool before frosting.
For the frosting:
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing well in between.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes using a Wilton 1M tip.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day or up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: red velvet cupcake recipe, cream cheese frosting recipe, easy red velvet cupcakes