These pumpkin scones are incredibly soft and moist with nice crispy edges. They are finished with a simple vanilla glaze AND pumpkin spice glaze on top.
- 2 & 1/4 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into tablespoons
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup half and half (or any kind of milk) cold plus more for brushing
- 1 large egg, cold
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoon half and half (or milk)
Pumpkin Spice Glaze
- 1/2 cup (65g) powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 1–2 teaspoon half and half (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, half and half, egg, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until the dough comes together.
- Scrape the dough onto a floured work surface. With floured hands, gently knead the dough into a ball. Pat into a 6″ disc and cut into 8 wedges using a sharp knife dusted with flour.
- Transfer the wedges onto the prepared baking mat. Brush the surface of the scones with more cream/milk.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare the vanilla glaze – In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream until smooth. Dip each scone, face-side down, into the glaze and place back on the wire rack to dry.
- Prepare the second glaze by whisking all the ingredients until smooth. Use a piping bag cut with a small hole or a spoon to drizzle over the scones.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Please note that since these scones are glazed, the glaze will start to melt into the scones after a day, so they are best enjoyed fresh.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin scone recipe, Starbucks pumpkin scone