These pumpkin cream cheese muffins are incredibly soft and moist. They are perfectly spiced and filled with the most delicious cream cheese filling.
- 1 & 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 2 tsp (4g) pumpkin pie spice (or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1/2 tsp nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250g) pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
Cream cheese filling:
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Start with the cream cheese filling – Using an electric mixer, whip the egg white until frothy. Gradually mix in the sugar and continue mixing until thick and glossy, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese and vanilla until combined. Then fold in 1/3 of the meringue at a time. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, sugar, pumpkin puree, and eggs.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin spice, and salt. Add in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Divide the batter into the prepared muffin pan filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Transfer the cream cheese mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Insert halfway into the batter and fill each muffin to the top. **See notes if you don’t have a pastry bag or large round tip.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin (not the filling) comes out clean.
**If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can use a medium ziplock bag and fit the tip into a corner of the bag. If you don’t have a large round tip then create a deep well in the center of the batter and fill it with the cream cheese mixture using a spoon.
Leftovers can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze – Once the muffins are completely cooled, place them in a freezer-friendly container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to a month. Thaw the muffins at room temperature for an hour and warm them up in the oven at 325F for 5-10 minutes to freshen them up.
Keywords: pumpkin cream cheese muffin recipe