Fresh Plum Cake
This fresh plum cake is soft and buttery. It has beautiful pockets of jammy baked plums throughout and it’s perfectly spiced. Just a few simple ingredients and a pound of plums are all you need to make this delicious and easy recipe.
Why this recipe is so great:
- Moist and tender cake – The texture of this cake is soft, fluffy, and super moist.
- Loaded with chunks of plums – The highlight of this cake is the gorgeous red pockets of soft-baked plums.
- Crunchy sugary crust – Not only does the sugary top crust add contrast to the softness of the cake, but it balances the tartness of the fruit.
- Symphony of flavors – This cake is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves that make for a harmony of flavors along with the vanilla and fresh fruit.
How to make plum cake:
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the unsalted butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk until just combined.
- Spread the batter into a greased 9″ springform pan.
- Arrange the plums on top and generously sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350F for about an hour.
Select plums that are ripe but firm. Choose ones that you would enjoy eating fresh for the best flavor. You don’t have to remove the skin, as it softens when it’s baked and gives the cake a vibrant pop of color.
How to store:
Cover and store at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How to freeze:
Once the cake is completely cooled, double wrap in aluminum foil or saran wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter before serving.
This plum cake is excellent served for breakfast, brunch, or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.
You might also like:
- Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake
- Apple Cinnamon Cake
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Did you make this recipe? Please kindly leave a comment with your star rating below.
This fresh plum cake is soft and buttery. It has beautiful pockets of jammy baked plums throughout and it’s perfectly spiced.
- 1-1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1–1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8-10 plums (about a pound) pitted and quartered
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9″ springform pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Then beat in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture at a time to the wet ingredients, alternating with 1/2 the milk, mixing at low speed until just combined and smooth.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Arrange the plums on top and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar on top.
- Bake at 350F for 60-65 minutes or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the springform edge and let cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
Leftover cake can be covered and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To Freeze – Once the cake is completely cooled, double wrap in aluminum foil or saran wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: plum cake recipe, plum torte recipe, fresh plum cake
Recipe very slightly adapted from Once Upon A Chef.