This flourless orange almond cake is soft and moist. It is bursting with fresh orange flavor and has a lovely soft nutty taste.
- 4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 almond extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar, divided in half
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8″ springform pan with parchment paper on the bottom and grease the sides and bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Add in the almond flour and baking powder and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add in the vinegar and salt. Continue beating while slowly adding in the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and beat until soft-medium peaks form.
- Fold in 1/3 of the meringue into the almond mixture to lighten up the batter. Then gently fold in the rest of the meringue, one large spoonful at a time. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until golden on top and the sides start to pull away from the pan.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before removing the cake from the pan.
Leftovers can be tightly covered or placed in an airtight container and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: orange almond cake recipe, flourless orange almond cake