This soft gingerbread cake is full of spice and packed with a robust molasses flavor. It’s quick and easy to make and topped with a sweet molasses glaze.
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (250ml) Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups (250g) powdered sugar
- 3–4 tbsp cream or milk
- 1 tbsp Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9×13″ baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs, then molasses. Carefully whisk in the hot water.
- Sprinkle over the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Whisk everything together until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cake cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze; whisk together the powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of cream or milk, and molasses until smooth. If it seems too thick to spread, add another tablespoon of cream or milk. Spread on cooled cake and sprinkle with the chopped pecans. Let it set for 15 minutes before slicing.
Leftover cake can be stored covered with saran wrap at room temperature for up to 5 days.
You can make this cake a day in advance as the flavor is even better the next day.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gingerbread cake recipe, molasses glaze, old-fashioned gingerbread cake