Light and fluffy chocolate vanilla marble cupcake with a sweet strawberry buttercream. Inspired by the popular Neapolitan ice cream flavor.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: makes 15 cupcakes
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1 tbsp whole milk
Ingredients for buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 muffin pans with 15 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the 1 cup of milk, oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Add vinegar, stir and scrap around the sides and bottom of bowl to incorporate all the flour. Whisk until just blended.
- Spoon 1 full tbsp of the vanilla batter into each cupcake liner. Then add the cocoa powder and 1 tbsp of milk to the remaining batter and mix until just blended. Divide the rest of the chocolate batter into the 15 cupcake liners.
- Using a butter knife, gently swirl the batter from the bottom up to bring some of the vanilla batter to the top.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes completely cool before frosting.
To make buttercream:
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and jam together until combined.
- Add 1 cup of icing sugar at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Frost cupcakes as desired. I used a Wilton 1M tip, piping in a circular motion from the center of the cupcake outwards and back to the center. I also added some sprinkles for fun.
Cupcakes will keep for up to 4 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator
Keywords: neapolitan cupcake recipe, chocolate vanilla marble cupcakes, easy strawberry buttercream