Mocha Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
Thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies made with fresh mint and a hint of coffee flavor.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: makes about 16 cookies
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (5 grams) fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 & 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp instant coffee
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chop butter into small pieces and roughly chop mint leaves. Place both in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Constantly stirring, cook the mint leaves in the butter for about 5 minutes and remove from heat. Pour through a fine sieve and using a rubber spatula, press the mint leaves to extract as much of the mint oil as possible. Let cool to touch.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar. Then mix in vanilla and egg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and instant coffee together. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons, drop rounded cookie doughs onto a tray, cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Place cookie doughs 2 inches apart from one another and bake for 10 minutes or just until edges start to brown.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Keywords: mint chocolate chip cookies, mocha chocolate chip cookies, browned butter chocolate chip cookies