These gorgeous mini cakes are packed with sweet and smokey maple essence and crunchy toasted pecans. They are deliciously soft and moist, and easier to make than they look.
- 1 pkg Williams Sonoma Maple Pecan Quick Bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (250ml) milk, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, finely chopped
- gold sprinkles or finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 3–4 tsp milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the cakelet pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cake mix, melted butter, and milk. Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the cavities of the prepared pan, leaving 1/2 cm space at the top. Gently tap the pan on towel covered counter to settle the batter into details and remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 15 minutes or a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes come out clean. Let cakes cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Wipe the pan clean, grease, and repeat with the remaining batter.
How to decorate:
- Chocolate – Melt the baking chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 15-seconds at a time, stirring in between, until all the chocolate is melted. Use a small cake decorating brush to paint the chocolate on the cakes as desired. You can also use a butter knife to spread the chocolate on. Top with sprinkles or finely chopped pecans. You can even match the colour of the sprinkles to the season or holiday to make things fun. Let stand for 15 minutes for the chocolate to set.
- Glaze – Stir the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and milk/cream together in a small shallow bowl until smooth. Dip the cakelets face down into the glaze. Wipe the excess glaze against the edge of the bowl. Place the cakelets on a wire rack for about 15 minutes for the glaze to dry.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
How to make in advance – You can make the cakelets up to one day in advance, store in an airtight container at room temperature, and finish with the chocolate and/or glaze a couple of hours before serving.
How to freeze – Once the cakes are completely cooled, place in the freezer on a cookie sheet for about an hour until frozen solid. Then transfer into a freezer-friendly container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter and cover with chocolate and/or glaze a couple of hours before serving.
Keywords: maple pecan cake, Nordic Ware cake pan recipe