These French madeleine cookies are rich and buttery. They have a light vanilla and lemony flavor and pair well with any cup of coffee or tea.
- 2/3 cup (133g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (*see notes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon (about 2 tsp)
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter plus 1 tbsp for greasing the pan
- Melt the butter in a small bowl and set it aside to cool. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set it aside as well.
- Beat the eggs and sugar at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla and lemon zest and beat for another minute.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time, mixing in between. Scrape down the bowl as needed and mix until just combined.
- Increase the speed to medium and slowly add the butter. Mix until the batter is smooth and thick.
- Cover and chill the batter for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight. (** see notes)
- When ready to bake: Preheat the oven to 350F. Melt a tablespoon of butter and brush the shells of a madeleine pan with it and scoop a heaping tablespoon of batter into each shell.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden on the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cookies cool in the pan for 5 minutes then carefully transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Rinse the pan with cold water to cool. Wipe clean and dry. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
*Room temperature eggs – It’s really important to have your eggs at room temperature before you start beating them with the sugar in order to maximize the volume and reach the right consistency for the batter.
**Chilling the dough – For best results, chill the dough for just 30 minutes. This is the perfect amount of time for the flour to relax without having the butter solidify again.
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: madeleine cookie recipe, easy French madeleines