These soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies are buttery and full of fresh lemon flavor. They are crispy on the outside with a sparkly sugar coating and they take less than 30 minutes to make!
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchement paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined.
- Scoop a heaping teaspoon amount of dough, roll into a ball, then coat in granulated sugar. Place 2″ apart onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
How to freeze:
Once the cookies are completely cooled, place in a freezer-friendly container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Place on the counter for 1-2 hours to thaw and come to room temperature before serving.
- Lemon glaze – Mix some powdered sugar with a bit of lemon juice and drizzle over the cooled cookies for a little extra sweetness.
- White chocolate chips – Add some creamy white chocolate chips for a lemon and white chocolate combination in these cookies.
- Citrus flavor – You can use this recipe and substitute the lemon juice and lemon zest with orange, lime or even grapefruit for a different citrus flavor.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon cookie recipe, lemon sugar cookies