These lemon poppy seed muffins are soft and moist with a light crunch. They are easy to make and bursting with lemon flavor!
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- zest 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub the mixture between your fingers to release the oil. The sugar will be pale yellow and very fragrant.
- Then whisk in the melted butter, eggs, sour cream, fresh lemon juice, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven to 350F and bake for another 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
How to freeze:
Once the muffins are completely cooled, transfer them to a freezer-friendly container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter for an hour. Warm up in the microwave for 15-30 seconds before serving if desired.
- Butter – The melted butter can be replaced with vegetable oil, avocado oil, or EV olive oil.
- Eggs – The eggs can be substituted with 2 flax eggs or 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
- Sour cream – Greek or regular yogurt can be used instead.
- Milk – Any kind of milk can be used including plant-based milk.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon poppy seed muffin recipe, lemon poppy seed muffins