This lemon chiffon cake is incredibly soft and fluffy. It’s also moist with a delightful fresh lemon flavor.
- 2 cups (235g) cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup (188ml) cold water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (about 1 large lemon)
- 7 large egg white, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Sift the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the egg yolks, oil, water, vanilla, and lemon zest. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add in the cream of tartar. Continue mixing and slowly add in the sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Using the same beaters, beat the egg yolk mixture until smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Fold in 1/4 of the egg whites to lighten up the mixture. Then gently fold in the rest in two equal parts until just combined and no white streaks remain.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 10″ tube pan with removable bottom. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Invert the pan and let cool completely before removing the cake from the pan. Slice with a serrated knife using a gentle sawing motion.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or tightly covered with plastic wrap at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon chiffon cake recipe