This Japanese cheesecake is light and fluffy with a tangy creamy taste. It’s like sponge cake meets cheesecake in one incredible dessert!
- 1 package (250g) cream cheese
- 1/4 cup (50g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (83ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (63g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (16g) cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Melt the cream cheese, unsalted butter, and milk in a double boiler until completely melted and smooth. Let chill to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325F and position a rack on the lowest level. Spray an 8″ springform pan with non-stick cooking spray and wrap with two sheets of heavy duty foil. Place the pan in a 9×13″ baking dish. Set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Once the cream cheese mixture is at room temperature, whisk in the egg yolks one at a time. Then whisk in the vanilla.
- Sift in the flour and cornstarch. Mix until just combined.
- Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer while slowly adding in the granulated sugar. Continue to beat the egg whites until it forms soft to stiff peaks. Gently fold 1/3 of the meringue into the cream cheese mixture at a time using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan. Carefully add hot water into the larger baking dish to about 1″ deep. Bake on the lowest rack for about 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Turn off oven and let cool in the oven with the door ajar for 1 hour. Then bring to room temperature and chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Japanese cheesecake recipe, cotton cheesecake, fluffy cheesecake