Jam Thumbprint Cookies
This classic holiday cookie is buttery and chewy with a delicious pocket filled with jam.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: about 40 cookies
- Category: dessert, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 & 1/2 cups (313g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (227g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200g) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
- about 1 cup of jam (I used strawberry, apricot, and blueberry)
- Preheat oven to 325F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 or 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the egg, vanilla and almond extract (if using) until incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, stir in half flour until just combined. Repeat with the remaining flour.
- Roll the dough into 1″ balls and place about 1″ apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon dipped in flour, 1/4 tsp measuring spoon or your thumb, make an indent half way down each cookie.
- Fill each indentation with the jam of your choice. The jam will flatten out as the cookies bake. Slightly overfill so that’s it’s rounded on top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the edges just start to brown. Let cookies cool enough to touch before transferring to wire rack.
Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
Keywords: thumbprint cookie recipe, jam thumb print cookies