This classic rice pudding recipe is made with the touch of a button. The rice pudding is soft, creamy and sweet with a hint of coconut and vanilla.
- 3 cups (750ml) whole milk
- 3/4 cup (140g) long or medium grain rice (I used jasmine rice)
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) canned coconut milk or table cream (plus more if needed)
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- Cinnamon for sprinkling if desired
- Rinse the rice in a fine mesh colander until the water runs clear.
- Place the rinsed rice and sugar in the Instant Pot. Pour in the milk and stir everything together.
- Lock the lid and select the Porridge setting on High for 15 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, allow the pressure to release slowly for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, press the Cancel button and open vent. When de-pressurized, open lid.
- Gently stir in the coconut milk and vanilla. The pudding will continue to thicken as it cools. Feel free to add more coconut milk or cream if needed. Serve warm or cold.
How to store rice pudding:
How to freeze rice pudding:
Substitutions and variations:
- Rice – You can use any kind of long or medium white rice for this recipe like Jasmine, Basmati, Arborio or Valencia. I personally like Jasmine rice because of its fragrance and it goes so well with the coconut flavor.
- Coconut milk – I love the taste of coconut milk and the richness it adds to the rice pudding, but if coconut is not your thing, you can substitute it with table cream (10-18% M.F) instead.
- Spices – You can add a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg when cooking the rice or you can sprinkle it on top when serving.
- Add-ins – Feel free to add some dried fruit like raisins, currants, chopped apricots or cranberries.
- Toppings – Fresh fruit like berries and diced mangoes pair really well with this rice pudding. A sprinkle of toasted coconut is lovely too.
- Category: dessert, breakfast
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot rice pudding recipe, creamy rice pudding, easy rice pudding, coconut rice pudding