This signature Southern dessert is composed of a supremely moist banana-pineapple cake dressed in a luscious cream cheese frosting.
- Author: Lily Ernst
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12-16
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) lighlty packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup (300ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500g) mashed very ripe bananas
- 1 – 8oz can crushed pineapples, drained
- 1 cup (125g) chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 – 8oz pkgs cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5–6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour two 9″ round cake pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or handheld mixer, beat both sugars and oil for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well in between, then mix for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla, bananas and pineapples until just combined.
- On low speed, add the dry ingredients in thirds, beating until just combined. Fold in the pecans.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Tap the pans firmly on the countertop to remove any air bubbles from the batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment or handheld mixer, beat the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and salt until smooth and creamy (3-5 minutes).
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy (5-7 minutes).
- When ready to assemble, level the tops of the cakes with a serrated knife. Place one layer cut side down on a serving plate. Spread one third of the frosting on top. Place the other layer cut side down on top and spread the remaining frosting all over the cake.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to firm up the cake to make it easier to slice.
Leftover cake can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: hummingbird cake recipe, southern hummingbird cake, cream cheese frosting