This decadent homemade Black Forest cake is as easy as can be to make. This classic dessert is made up of two layers of moist chocolate cake surrounded by whipped cream and juicy black cherries.
- 1 3/4 (228g) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (85g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250ml) whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
Cream topping and filling
- 1–250 gram pkg of cream cheese
- 1–473ml cartoon of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 can of pitted black cherries (drained well)
- fresh or maraschino cherries
- chocolate curls or shaving
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9″ round cake pans with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Slowly add in the hot water and stir until the batter is well combined.
- Divide the batter into the prepared baking pans and bake for 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before assembling and trim cake domes if needed.
- Using an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Slowly add half the whipping cream and whip for a minute or so until it just starts to thicken. Add the rest of the whipping cream and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Spread about one quarter of the whipped cream on one of the cakes. Spoon the cherries on top and spread another quarter of the whipped cream on top of the cherries. Layer the second cake on and top with the remaining whipped cream. Decorate as desired.
Chilling the assembled cake for 30 minutes will make it easier to slice and serve. Leftover cake can be stored in the fridge covered up for 2-3 days.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: black forest cake recipe, easy black forest cake, black forest gateau