This healthy version of a classic carrot cake tastes anything but healthy. It’s moist, tender, perfectly spiced, and topped with the most delicious sweet and tangy yogurt cream cheese frosting.
- 2&1/2 cups (275g) soft whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5g) baking powder
- 2 tsp (4g) ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (83ml) melted coconut oil
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 cup (120g) Greek yogurt
- 2 cups (165g) grated carrots
- 1 can (14oz) canned crushed pineapples (well drained)
- 2/3 cups (65g) chopped walnuts
- 1 pkg (250g) light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (250g) thick Greek yogurt
- 2 cups (230g) powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup (35g) chopped walnuts
To prepare the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9″ round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, sugar, eggs, maple syrup and yogurt until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the carrots, pineapples and walnuts. Divide the batter into the two prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
To prepare the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese with the yogurt until well blended.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Chill in for the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours before spreading onto cooled cake.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy carrot cake recipe, easy carrot cake recipe, low-fat cream cheese frosting recipe