These healthy blueberry muffins are soft, moist and delicious! They are made with whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
- 2 cups (220g) whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) avocado oil or extra-virgin oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup or honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp coarse raw sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the avocado oil (or extra-virgin olive oil), maple syrup (or honey), eggs, plain Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if using. Bake at 400F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or up to 5 days in the fridge.
How to freeze – Place the completely cooled muffins in a freezer-friendly container or ziplock bag, label and date, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat in the oven at 350F for 5-10 minutes.
- Whole wheat pastry flour – You can substitute with white whole wheat flour or half and half regular whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
- Avocado oil – You can replace with extra-virgin olive oil, vegetable oil or melted unsalted butter.
- Maple syrup – You can use honey as well, but the maple syrup flavor pairs really well with the cinnamon and whole wheat flour in this recipe.
- Greek yogurt – You can use Skyr or any kind of thick yogurt.
- Blueberries – Fresh is best, but you can use frozen blueberries. Do not thaw and just add a few extra minutes to the baking time.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy blueberry muffin recipe, whole wheat blueberry muffin, Greek yogurt blueberry muffin