These delicious Guinness cupcakes are moist, chocolatey, and boozy. They are topped with a maple cinnamon cream cheese frosting and salty crunchy pretzels.
- 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder (I used dutch-processed)
- 3/4 cup (188ml) Guinness draft beer, poured and settled before you measure
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups (155g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1–250g pkg cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups (390g) powdered sugar
- 18 mini pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 muffin pans with 18 paper liners.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Remove from the heat, stir in the cocoa powder until smooth, then stir in the stout. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and the sour cream. Add the cooled chocolate mixture, mixing well. Add the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt, and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the batter amongst the prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Using an electric or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese together. Add the maple syrup and cinnamon, mix again. Then add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well in between until smooth and creamy. Frost as desired and top each cupcake with a mini pretzel.
Top the cupcakes with the mini pretzels the day you plan to serve. Otherwise the moisture from the frosting will make the pretzels soft.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Guinness chocolate cupcake recipe, chocolate stout cake, maple cream cheese frosting