These soft and fluffy rhubarb muffins have a crunchy sweet sugar topping and just the right amount of tang. They are loaded with chunks of fresh rhubarb, have a lovely vanilla flavor, and only take 15 minutes to make!
- 2 1/4 (285g) cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (12g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2g) salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/4 cup (250g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (275g) chopped rhubarb, cut into 1/2-in chunks, divided
- 1–2 tbsp coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 2 muffin pans with 14 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Add in wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in 2 cups of the rhubarb.
- Divide batter among the liners. Top with the remaining rhubarb and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Muffins are best the day of, especially still warm from the oven. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Please note that because the muffins are so moist, the tops lose their crispiness pretty quick. You can reheat them in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes to refresh them.
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rhubarb muffin recipe, easy rhubarb muffins, fresh rhubarb muffins