A moist, fluffy, and lightly spiced cake topped with jammy baked figs and crunchy pistachios make this fresh fig cake absolutely irresistible.
- 2 1/2 cups (315g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60ml) melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60ml) honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8–10 fresh figs (depending on size) cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 10″ cast iron skillet.
- In a large bowl mixing bowl, toss together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, honey, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cast iron skillet. Arrange the figs on top, cut side up. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Leftovers can be stored tightly covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: fig cake recipe, fresh fig cake