Silky-smooth custard flavoured with nutmeg and rum makes this crème caramel taste like eggnog heaven.
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 large whole egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp rum or bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) warm milk
- 1/2 nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325F. Place 4 small ramekins in a roasting pan.
- Add the 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons of water to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat on the stovetop until it turns a light to medium amber colour. DO NOT STIR.
- Remove from heat and immediately pour the caramel evenly into the ramekins.
- Whisk together the egg, egg yolks, sugar, rum, vanilla, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the warm milk. Pour the mixture through a fine sieve and fill each ramekin to the inside line or 1/4″ to the top.
- Transfer the roasting pan to the oven and fill halfway up the side of the ramekins with boiling water.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The nutmeg will settle on top when baked, but not to worry, no one will see it when it’s flipped over.
- Carefully remove the ramekins from the hot water with tongs. Let cool to room temperature and chill in the fridge (loosely covered or in a large container with a lid) for a minimum of 3 hours or preferably overnight before serving.
- When ready to serve, run a thin knife along the inside edge of the ramekin. Place a dessert plate on top and invert both. Give it a gentle shake to release the custard and caramel sauce onto the plate.
Crème caramel can be stored loosely covered or place in a large container with a lid in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: eggnog crème caramel recipe