This scrumptious and made-from-scratch apple pie recipe is so unbelievably easy to prepare. See how you can make this foolproof flaky pie crust and heavenly apple filling in just 30 minutes.
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 3/4 cup (155g) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (83ml) milk (any kind, dairy or non-dairy works)
- 8 cups sliced apples (about 6 large apples, approx 2 lbs, cut 1/4″ thick)
- 1/2 cup (115g) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425F and start by preparing the crust.
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a little well.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper. Dampen the work area with a wet cloth or paper towel to prevent the wax paper from slipping.
- Divide into two parts. Roll each part out in between 2 sheets of wax paper to about 11″ in diameter.
- Fit one piece into a 9″ pie plate by placing your hand underneath the wax paper and quickly flip the crust over and onto your pie plate. Fit it in with the wax paper, then carefully remove the wax paper and fix any cracks or tears by pinching and sealing the dough.
- Toss the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together. Spoon the apple mixture into the pie plate, packing in the apples the best you can.
- Place the second pie crust on top. Remove the wax paper. Seal and crimp the edges. Cut a few slits for ventilation.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375F and bake for another 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling starts to bubble. Cover the edges with foil if it starts to brown too quickly.
- Let cool for 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
If you want to make this recipe even simpler, feel free to use a store-bought pie crust for when you are short on time, but still want to be a rockstar in the kitchen.
Leftovers can be cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Working with this pie crust – The texture of this pastry dough is different from most other pie crusts in that it’s a bit fragile and crumbly. However, that delicate texture is what makes this pie crust so tender and flaky, so it’s well worth it. When handling this pie crust, it might crack or break, but not to worry, just pinch and seal and patch it up as if you’re playing with Playdoh.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie recipe, easy apple pie, homemade apple pie