Easy Bread Pudding (video)
This easy version of an old-fashioned bread pudding is made with cinnamon raisin bread baked in a silky custard that’s lightly scented with vanilla. It has all the flavors of a classic bread pudding with half the work.
I got this recipe idea from my neighbor who uses cinnamon raisin bread as a shortcut in her bread pudding. It’s a great make-ahead recipe and it can be served as breakfast or as a dessert.
The use of cinnamon raisin bread makes this recipe so much easier because it already has the raisins and all the spices baked into the bread. So then, all you have to do is make the custard, which is simply milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
The wonderful thing about bread pudding is that you can serve it anyway you want. You can serve it with a hard sauce like a brandy, bourbon or rum butter sauce. You can also serve it with some creme anglaise or my favorite, maple syrup. I even like it served warm with some melty vanilla ice cream on top for a fun treat. It’s really up to you.
The texture is soft in the center with crunchy toasted edges. The custard is delicate and silky. The taste is lightly sweet with warm notes of cinnamon and vanilla. It has a rustic charm and makes enough to serve a crowd.
This easy version of an old-fashioned bread pudding is made with cinnamon raisin bread baked in a silky custard that’s lightly scented with vanilla.
- 12 cups stale cinnamon raisin bread, cubed (about a 20 oz loaf)
- 4 cups (1L) whole milk (or 5% cream)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- Place the bread cubes in a buttered 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients. Slowly and evenly pour over top of the bread. Using a rubber spatula, gently press down on the bread so all of it gets soaked into the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Uncover the bread pudding and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool briefly before serving.
Leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Category: breakfast, dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: bread pudding recipe, easy bread pudding, cinnamon raisin bread pudding