This quick and easy apple crisp is filled with tender apple slices baked under a blanket of crunchy brown sugar oat streusel. It has all the great flavors of an apple pie, but is half the work and is just as good topped with vanilla ice cream!
I couldn’t be happier that fall is approaching because, to me, fall is all about apples, pumpkins, and baking. So let the fun begin!
Why this recipe is so great:
- It’s as easy as can be. All you have to do is slice, mix, and bake. Since this recipe uses melted butter there is no need to cut it up and work it in with your hands. You just melt the butter in the microwave and mix it in with a spoon. It’s much easier than having to get your hands all greasy.
- Perfect crumb topping to apple ratio. There is just the right amount of crunchy streusel to every bite of apple. The texture is crunchy mixed with soft and silky apple slices. The taste is fruity, nutty, and buttery with a warm hint of brown sugar and spice. It’s all around applelicious!
- Here are some reviews:
“This recipe is a delight!! We didn’t need to run out for anything, because we had what was needed in the house already. We absolutely loved it!! I used Granny Smith and Macoun apples.” – Bethany
“Made this with my 13yr old son. All I did was peel and cut the apples. Great mother-son moment. He was so proud it turned out as this is his and his father’s favourite dessert.
Thank you for the amazing recipe.” – One happy mom 😊
“Hi, that’s an awesome dessert which turned out amazing. My younger daughter and my husband loved it. In the past 4 days, I am going to make it a 2nd time. Thanks!” – Phanimala
How to cut apples for apple crisp:
- First, peel the apples using a vegetable peeler or apple peeler.
- Next, stand the apple stem-side up and cut off one side avoiding the core.
- Lay the apple on the flat side and cut off another side, again avoiding the core.
- Turn and cut two more times.
- Now, you can easily slice the apple into uniform pieces that are perfect for apple crisp or apple pie.
How to make easy apple crisp:
- You start by mixing together your apple slices, granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a 9″ square or round baking dish.
- Then you mix together your flour, rolled oats and brown sugar. Add in the melted butter and stir until everything is moistened.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the apples.
- Bake at 375F for about 35 minutes or until bubbling.
Select apples that are firm and crisp and hold their shape even when cooked. Also, choose a mix of sweet and tart apples for the best flavor. Some of my favorite combinations are Matsu and Ambrosia, Granny Smith and Royal Gala, Northern Spy and Golden Delicious. Here’s a list of my favorite Top Ten Baking Apples with full descriptions.
- Apple crisp vs apple crumble. The original difference between an apple crisp and an apple crumble lies in the streusel topping. A crumble topping is typically made with just flour, sugar, and butter. And when baked it’s like buttery-sweet bread crumbs. A crisp topping would contain oats and the oats crisp up as it bakes, hence the name, and it has more of a granola texture to it. Though, as time has gone by, the lines have blurred and the names crumble and crisp are now used interchangeably. (source: The Kitchn)
- Does apple crisp need to be refrigerated? I tend to err on the side of caution with anything with fruit in it and say yes, because of the natural juices in fruit along with the sugars. And if it’s slightly warm in your kitchen, well then there’s a chance things can spoil. You can leave it out at room temperature for the day, but for any longer than that, I would refrigerate it. You can always reheat it if you don’t like to eat it cold.
- Can I make apple crisp in advance? Yes, you can prepare the filling and topping separately, up to a day in advance, store it in the fridge, then assemble and bake it before you want to serve it. You can bake it in the morning and serve it in the evening. You can also bake it and store it in the fridge up to a day in advance and just warm it up before serving.
- Can you freeze apple crisp? Yes, let the crisp cool completely, then cover it with a double layer of foil. Store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then warm in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
You might also like:
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Cherry Crumble Pie
- Toffee Apple Pecan Crumble Pie
- Rhubarb Crisp
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE KINDLY LEAVE A COMMENT AND STAR RATING BELOW.Print
Easy Apple Crisp
This quick and easy apple crisp is filled with tender baked apple slices and topped with a crunchy brown sugar oat streusel.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 5 cups (580g) sliced and peeled apples (about 4–5 medium apples)
- 2–4 tbsp granulated sugar (depending on how sweet your apples are)
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon
- ¾ cups (70g) rolled oats
- ¾ cups (94 g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (75g) brown sugar, lightly packed
- ⅓ cup (76g) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a 9″ square or round baking dish, toss together all the filling ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour and brown sugar. Add in the melted butter and stir until all is moistened. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the filling.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the apples are tender and bubbling.
Leftovers can be covered with foil or plastic wrap and stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Select apples that are firm and crisp and hold their shape even when cooked. Also, choose a mix of sweet and tart apples for the best flavor. Some of my favorite combinations are Matsu and Ambrosia, Granny Smith and Royal Gala, Northern Spy and Golden Delicious.
Make ahead instructions: You can prepare the filling and topping separately, up to a day in advance, store it in the fridge, then assemble and bake before you want to serve it. You can bake it in the morning and serve it in the evening. You can also bake it and store it in the fridge up to a day in advance and just warm it up before serving.
Freezing instructions: Let the crisp cool completely, then cover it with a double layer of foil. Store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then warm in a 350F oven for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Keywords: apple crumble recipe, apple crisp recipe, easy apple crisp, easy apple crumble