This heavenly Dutch apple pie (aka apple crumble pie) is made with layers upon layers of tender apple slices and finished with a thick blanket of crunchy-buttery crumb topping.
- 1 single store-bought or homemade pie crust
8 cups (2 lbs) sliced apples, cut 1/4″ thick
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (114g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (135g) packed brown sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400F and position a rack on the lower third of the oven.
- Line a 9″ deep-dish pie plate with the pie crust. Set aside.
- Toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and lemon juice together in a large bowl.
- Spoon the apple filling into the prepared pie plate, tightly packing in the apples the best you can. Set aside.
- Prepare the topping by mixing together the flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Then work in the butter using a pastry cutter, fork or fingers until no large chunks of butter remain. Sprinkle evenly over the apple filling.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 55-60 minutes or until the filling is bubbling through. Loosely cover with foil once the crumb topping is golden brown. I covered mine after 30 minutes.
- Let cool on a cooling rack for a minimum of 2 hours or until completely cool before slicing and serving.
Leftovers can be covered and stored at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Use a mix of tart and sweet apples for the best flavor and more depth in taste. For this recipe, I recommend a 50/50 split or 75/25 split between tart and sweet apples to balance the sweetness of brown sugar in the crumb topping. For this particular pie, I used a mix of Granny Smith and Pink Lady apples.
- To freeze: wrap in plastic wrap and foil, label, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Loosely cover with foil and reheat from frozen at 325F for about an hour, removing the foil during the last 15 minutes.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dutch apple pie recipe, apple crumble pie