A light and fluffy dark chocolate cupcake with a creamy, luscious white chocolate buttercream.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch processed)
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup strong coffee, hot
Ingredients for the buttercream:
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams good quality white chocolate, melted and cooled
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 baking tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, yogurt, vegetable oil and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, slowly add the dry ingredient and mix until combined. Add the hot coffee and whisk everything together until smooth.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
To make the buttercream:
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or handheld mixer, beat the butter for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the first 3 cups of powdered sugar, one at a time, mixing in between. Then add the melted white chocolate and mix until smooth. Add the last 2 cups of powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy. Frost cupcakes as desired. I used a Wilton 1M tip.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate cupcake recipe, dark chocolate cupcakes, white chocolate buttercream