Coconut Cream Pie
Escape to the tropics with this heavenly coconut cream pie made with coconut milk and shredded coconut for a flavorful and authentic coconut taste.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8-10
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour, twice sifted
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- ½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (62ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (32g) cornstarch
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup (62ml) half and half cream
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (100g) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (25g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (25g) sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 425F and set aside a 9″ pie plate.
- Sift the flour twice, then whisk in the salt and create a well in the center.
- Pour in the oil, then milk and stir everything together. If the dough seems too dry, add 1-2 tbsp of milk.
- Once the dough starts to form, finish working it by gently kneading it on a sheet of wax paper.
- Roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper. Remove the top sheet of wax paper. Use the bottom sheet to lift and flip the dough onto the pie plate. Fit the crust onto the plate and finish the edges as desired. Poke the bottom of the crust in several places with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 15-20 min or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, half and half, and eggs.
- Slowly add the milk mixture to the saucepan with the sugar and cornstarch mixture while whisking.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil stirring constantly. Allow to boil for one minute, the custard should be pretty thick at this point. Remove from the heat, stir in the butter and vanilla extract until all the butter has dissolved into the mixture. Stir in the coconut.
- Cover with plastic wrap, placing the plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard, and allow to stand in the saucepan for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast the 1/4 cup of coconut in a small frying pan over medium heat until lightly browned. Set aside to cool completely.
- Remove the plastic wrap, stir the filling, and spoon it into the prepared pie crust. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate the pie for 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, beat the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until medium peaks. Spread over the custard filling and top with toasted coconut. Slice and serve.
Leftover pie can be stored in the fridge covered tightly in plastic wrap for up to 2-3 days.
Keywords: coconut cream pie, coconut custard, coconut pudding