This double chocolate zucchini bread is incredibly soft and moist and bursting with chocolate. It’s the easiest and fudgiest zucchini bread you’ll ever make!
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5″ loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Toss in the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350F for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Chocolate zucchini bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or tightly covered in saran wrap for up to 5 days.
How to freeze:
Once completely cooled, double wrap in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter to bring to room temperature before serving.
- All-purpose flour – You can use whole wheat pastry flour instead or half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. You can also omit the baking powder and salt and substitute with self-rising flour.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – Natural or Dutch-processed can be used. I prefer Dutch-processed because it’s darker and more flavorful.
- Vegetable oil – Can be replaced with melted butter, EV olive oil, avocado oil, or any kind of neutral-flavor oil like canola or safflower.
- Granulated sugar – Brown sugar can be used, but it will give the bread a hint of molasses.
- Eggs – Each egg can be substituted with 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana. You can also use flax eggs instead.
- Sour cream – Can be substituted with plain yogurt or mayonnaise.
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate zucchini bread recipe, double chocolate zucchini bread